I've never felt so homeschooled in my life, as I have today. However, I can't just jump into everything like that. So, let me explain. Today marked the second week of dual credit classes and it also marked the first day I've had to use a non-electric pencil sharpener. So, I get into class and we have to write an essay and take a quiz. The quiz is being taken on a Scan-Tron so what do I need to use? A #2 pencil like on the SATs because the dumb computer can't read different kinds of pencil lead. And do I have a #2 pencil? Of course not, because who uses a wooden pencil to take notes, nowadays? Thank you for agreeing with me. ;)
So, I turn to my friend, Jesse, and ask him if he has a #2 pencil that I could borrow. He says he doesn't have any at all. "Hmm," I think in my mind. "What should I do since the dumb computer can't read different kinds of pencil lead? Ah-ha, ask the teacher" (who happens to be a substitute for the day).
I ask the teacher, and she subsequently asks if anyone has an extra pencil. One guy does and hands it to me. However, it's a brand new pencil, never having been sharpened. "Hmm," I think once again. "Where's the sharpener?" Other people are getting up and going to this round think drilled into the wall and coming back with sharpened pencils. I seem to remember seeing something like that and I guess it's the sharpener. (Note, the guy who I borrowed the pencil from was sitting right behind the sharpener.)
I walk over to the sharpener and inspect it. It is certainly not self powered. There's a disc on one side with multiple holes in it and the other side has a crank. "Do I stick it in and crank it?" I ask myself. So, praying that the pencil does not die while it's owner is watching me, I push in the pencil and give the crank one turn. I pull the pencil out and it is slightly shaved. Happy that I got it right, I put it back in and cranked like a maniac until I thought the pencil was sharpened sufficiently. When I pulled it out, it was a bit too sharpened, but... oh well.
When I went back to my seat and looked at the Scan-Tron papper, I discovered an area that I did not know how to fill out. It was labeled "period." Now, I've heard of that from public/private schooled friends and books, but I don't know what it really means. I then turn to the girl next to me and ask what to do with this peculiar blank. She informs me that I don't need to put down anything. Whew!
Anyway, after the teacher told us the requirements of this quiz and essay, she sat down and got on her lap-top. Now, I was expecting her to tell us how much time we had and when we could begin, but she didn't. So, I just tried to write as fast as I could. When I was done, and after I watched other people take their papers to the teacher, I walked up there and asked if we needed to put our names on the top of the paper. The teacher responded, "Uh, yeah." I then tried to make her understand that I was wondering about how to fill it out, like if I needed to put the class number and such up there. She told me how to do it.
That completed English class. Now, I had American Gov. next but the stories from that class are even more degrading than what I have already shared. So, in order to retain some dignity, if only a little bit, I shall end this post now.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment