Country Music

Friday, August 12, 2011
Kathryn doesn't like country music. She says that while you get some songs about love (Achey Breaky Heart) the predominance of songs are about the singer's dog or truck. Now over the years, I've become more partial to country music. I don't know why I'm liking it so much. Still, I do enjoy it. Yesterday, I made a pandora station and the first song I got was about a car, the second song was titled Big Green Tractor. In this song, Jason Aldean sang about how his girl got all dressed up and had no place to go. He told her they could go into town, or watch a movie, or they could just go ride around on his Big Green Tractor. They could make it go slow, or make it go faster. Wherever they went, it *don't* much matter, as long as they were together.
I must confess, I was not able to controll my laughter at this song. This may be due to the fact that I couldn't help but imagine Kathryn's disgust for such a song. Or, maybe I'm too much of a city girl, but I would not want to get dressed up and go ride on a tractor with my honey. Just my personal preference.
Later on while on pandora, a song popped up that was very different. The chorus was this: "God is great. Beer is good. And people are crazy." This song earned much of my laughter as well. Where do writer's come up with this kind of stuff.
Well, even if I never find any songs on the station that I like, I can always be sure of a good laugh. See ya later, alligator.

1 comments:

Ryan Kelly said...

Interesting you brought this up. At the conference I went to last week, a question was raised in a session of how much our dislike for a particular kind of music (i.e. country) is truly a dislike for the music, or more influenced by a dislike for the association with a culture. For example, how much does one dislike country music, vs. how much does one not want to be associated with the culture of rural persons, trucks, beer, fringe, boots, etc...and then that transfers to a dislike of the music. Or, how much does one dislike opera, vs. how much do they dislike the cultural snobbery, fur and diamonds, pretending you like the story when you can't understand it, etc. An interesting, albeit theoretical and psychological, discussion.

The presenter eventually said that despite saying for years that he didn't like country music, realized that he actually enjoyed listening to it on the radio...he just didn't like the culture associated with country music.