Cooking on day 4-last one

Saturday, August 6, 2011
Menu Item? Fish Piccata (courtesy of Cook Melissa D'Arabian)
Sides? Cous-Cous and a Vegetable Mix
Estimated Time? 20 minutes
Actual Time? 1 hour

Yes, today marked my last day of cooking for the week. I've enjoyed it, but I'm happy to give the reigns back to the real driver. I was excited about making fish for the first time and also trying capers as well. I ended up using Sol instead of Tilapia. I blotted the fish, seasoned it, dredged it, and put it into the saute pan. (By the way, all yesterday, I was completely unable to get the words 'saute pan' out properly. I always said, 'saupe tan.')
The last fillet
The frying was a little scary, because of the ocassional popping oil. Also, the fillets kept breaking. There were a few that stayed whole, though. I poured the chicken stock (instead of the wine) and the other stuff into the pan to make the sauce. It was also my first deglazing of a pan. :)
The dish came out well, and Kathryn liked it especially because of the lemon flavor. And, because of said flavor, it was not a huge favorite with the chef. I did find the capers interesting, good but a little briny.


All plated

So end the tales of my exploits in the kitchen this month. I have enjoyed them and look forward to next month when I shall try some other new things. Thank you for following along on my Journey Through the Kitchen. Till next time!
The recipe is here: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/melissa-darabian/fish-piccata-recipe/index.html

4 comments:

Ryan Kelly said...

Yay for Meaghan!

I like pan frying just about everything EXCEPT fish, because of what you said--it always breaks apart. I think the trick is a non-stick pan, and plenty of oil, and then more oil when it burns off, and then more... Nothing more disconcerting than wanting to serve a "filet" to ending up serving "pulled fish" when you didn't want to.

In fact, "pulled fish" sounds gross!

Justin Kelly said...

I was expecting the "cous cous" quote from Night At the Museum at the end of the post.

Nice job!

Meaghan said...

Thanks Ryan!

And Justin, MAN, I wish I'd thought of that. ;)

singerinkitchen said...

Nice job Meaghan! I was out all day and had JUST left the hosue when you told me you posted it. I am glad to have read it before the night ended. Sounds like you had a great experience. Sounds like you would like to do it next month too! :D Have a great weekend!