Chocolate Covered Pretzels and Root Beer

Monday, June 6, 2011
Ah, the good things in life. I decided I've not been blogging enough lately. So, I figured I'd write about my recent day trip up to Austin.

Kathryn is a huge fan of Michael Buble, as I believe was stated in a previous post about how bad he is. Anyway, he's on this new tour and was coming to Texas this year, but not sadly, not to Houston. He was going to Austin. This did not detour Kathryn. She asked Mom if they could go up to Austin for the concert. Mom agreed and the tickets were bought. This would have Mom and Kathryn leaving on Wed. (concert night), staying the night in Austin, and coming home on Thurs. Dad and I were to have the whole time to ourselves.
However, Dad was not going to be home. This will not do. Meaghan really shouldn't stay by hersellf the whole time. :( I was of a different mind. I did not much like the idea of being tracked over the state to sit in a hotel room by myself and watch TV that I could be watching in the comfort of my home. Plus, without the bother of packing and the long drive.
Howver, Dad was now coming back home. Yay, I'm saved. Now, I was going to stay home. Dad would be back very late, and then Mom and Kathryn would return the next day.
However, did I REALLY want to be by myself all the time? There's only so far TV and movies can get you, even I'll admit to that. But, I REALLY did't want to have to go with them. Granted, it might be fun. Kathryn pointed out that I'd never been in a hotel room by myself, but it just didn't seem like enough. Finally, after talking it over with Mom, I decided to go.
Arent' you happy this paragraph isn't starting with however? :D On Wed. we packed our stuff, packed the car, and headed off...to the post office and McDonald's for a Redbox. I was going to get two movies to pass the hours in the hotel. The films? Tron!!!!! and I am Number Four. I am #4 was a movie which I'd wanted to watch, since I found it was coming out. But, because of the type of movie it was, I knew I'd only enjoy it properly if I watched it alone. (A later post is coming about the movie so I won't say any more.)
We drove and drove while I read and read. A little past the half way point, we stopped at Buccee's for snacks and a bathroom break. We got drinks and a bag of chocolate covered pretzels, and we were ready for the last stage. When we got into Austin, we had to quickly find our hotel and get to the Cracker Barrel to eat and let them go to the concert. But, we got lost trying to find the hotel. Finally, Mom called and got us back on track, but we now didn't have time to go all the way down to the Cracker Barrel. We spotted a Chilie's, ate a yummy dinner, and then got to the hotel. After getting out everything from the car, including my precious can of Root Beer I had stashed for the night, they left and I walked upstairs.
As I was walking into the hotel for the second time (two trips were needed), I saw a man sitting outside the door smoking. Looking at myself holding a can of root beer and a bag of chocolate covered pretzels and a bag of chips, we'd brought them from home but they never got touched, I wanted to say to him: "Party in room 209!!!!!" However, I restrained myself. Mom had told me to double lock the door anyway. :)
Well, I kicked off my shoes, set up my laptop, brought over the movies, and plopped down on the bed. I wasn't sure if both movies would finish in the time they were gone, so I decided to start with I am Number Four. I'd rather they walk in on the end of Tron, then the other one. ;D I watched it, and it was really good. Now on to feature 2, but I've yet to eat any of my snacks. I broke out the pretzels, and the root beer from the refrigerator in the room and sat back on the bed to watch Tron. And there I was; in Austin, in a hotel room by myself, sitting on a bed, watching Tron, eating chocolate covered pretzels, and drinking root beer after 9 o'clock. This was how the summer was meant to be spent. :D
After awhile, they came back and told me about the concert. Kathryn had loved it, expectations met. But Mom had not had the best time because of her sitting partner. Lots of talking kept us up late, but eventually, we hit the sack.
The next morning I awoke to hear some sort of tapping going on. I distinctly heard it coming from over the vanity. I got up and stomped over. (I was in rather a grumpy mood, perhaps not fully awake.) I turned the light on, eliciting a moan from still sleeping Kathryn. Mom came out of the bathroom to find me peering up at the ceiling with a mad look on.
"Why did you turn the light on?" asked Mom.
"Because I did. Something's making noise, like tapping, over here," I answered.
"Okay, why don't you go back to bed. It's still early."
Still grumpy, I stomped back to bed. "It's 7. It's not THAT early."
Now, I find this story very funny. Don't ask me why I was in such a bad mood at 7 in the morning. It did not matter though, since I never woke Kathryn up and actually slept until 10 myself.
Mom and I were the first ready to leave, yet Kathryn wasn't packed up. So, I turned on the TV and scrolled through the channels. I happened upon a movie that was in some kind of Greek or Roman setting. Interested, I stayed, trying to discern what it was. My initial guess was Clash of the Titans, though I've not seen it. I asked Kathryn to come over and help me figure out what it was. Then, we saw Sam Worrington and a Pegusus-like-horse and we knew it was indeed Clash of the Titans. While waiting for her to finish, I watched till the end and I tell you, it was awful! The most anti-climatic ending for the previous few scenes. I was greatly disappointed. Imagine if I'd watched the whole thing! :D
The ride home was lots of fun, because I wrote a lot. I actually completed the story I'm submitting for the library writing thing. I'll post the story up here soon. And, we stopped at Buccee's on the way home for more snacks. :)
I look back, and see what fun I'd missed if I'd just stayed home. Little excursions like this are over quickly, but they make some extremely fun memories!

0 comments: