I Stink at Chess

Thursday, May 5, 2011
I am not being modest here. I mean, I'm just awful at the game. I'm often open to playing it, but I know I'll lose. It's kind of like my bane in the game world. I go back often to see if I can beat my arch nemisis, but he most often knocks over my poor king with a nasty cackle. I call my king poor because he got stuck with me as his defender. "All the other warriors are busy fighting in distant lands."--The Hobbit (tapes). This is the reason he was unable to get anyone better. :)

Well, I recently discovered a chess program on my computer. Usually, if I'm playing a game in the game section, it's Mahjong. You say you don't know what that is? Well, go look it up. That's what Google's for. Kathryn had never heard of it either, but when I taught it to her, she became a wee bit obsessed. So, anyway, that's my game of choice. However, I've been getting a little bored with it. So, I went through "games" and saw chess. "Hmm," I thought, "this might be fun for a little while. Well, what happened? I lost, really BADLY lost. I played again. I lost. Play-lose. Play-lose. Play-lose. My eyebrows knitted together, and I set my teeth. I was GOING to beat my computer! The little man, hiding in the keyboard or perhaps the dust guy hanging out at the "space bar" (anyone seen that commercial?), was not going vanquish me again.

With a snicker at my foolishness, he beat me. After many more of these, I gave up, very frustrated. However, the next days after, I've been obsessed with trying to win a game. This will be proven by my gasp during lunch today. Mom asked me what was wrong. (I mean, it sounded like I'd watched someone die.) I said, "They took my queen."

I was playing just a few minutes ago and losing every game. Then, then, I took the opposing queen!!! I got a second pawn down to the end and got a second queen. After some chasing, I cornered the King and made him jump out of his castle window. Hahahaha, not really, but I was extremely happy. In fact, I think the word jubilant could come into use right here. Isn't jubilant a good word?

Now, one would think, that after this Herculaic feat (I just used a literary allusion!), I would be content with not playing the online game again........One would think. ;)

0 comments: