Anyone who knows me well, and if you're reading this, that's probably you, SHOULD know ;) that I drink Orange Juice every morning. It's because of habit/taste/and by now, if I don't have it, my mouth gets a weird feeling every morning as if it's trying to get any kind of orange taste from my mouth. It's very weird and I can't begin to explain it to you. You could only understand if you've had a glass of OJ pretty much every morning for the last, probably, 4 years.
When I begin to make my breakfast, my mouth gets that taste and until I take a drink (which I always do before I eat the food) it doesn't go away. I always drink it first because it opens up my palet and it's amazing how NASTY water (even our water) is in the morning. I've also found how cool it is how when I eat the same food without OJ, it's different.
I'm going to interject something here. This is to ensure you don't come away from this post thinking I'm a wimp that can't survive without a certain drink. OJ is just something that I heavily like and desire strongly, it's not a true necesity. Okay, back to the story.
Well, you can imagine how fast I can go through a quart of the stuff. About a week ago, I ran out and Mom wasn't able to get to the store. So, OH HORRORS!, there was no OJ for the morning. Sure enough, my tastebuds were very depressed when I ate a breakfast accompanied by bad water.
The next morning, I was wholly against drinking water, but we still didn't have any OJ. *strongly upset face* However, Mom had just made a pot of coffee and I clung to it as a life preserver in the desert full of water but barren of the all important, magical potion that turns my day into smiles.
Now, as you well know, I do not drink coffee unless it's got a little green mermaid on the cup. I don't drink any hot drinks, as a matter of fact, unless the afore mentioned mermaid is donning the container. Therefore, this idea of coffee was difficult to even think of. I've been wanting to like the drink for sometime but just couldn't get paste the coffee taste. Still, I had to drink something and it was NOT going to be water. I asked if I could try Mom (just some cream in it). I tasted it and "blah." No good. Water was staring me in the face. But wait, I rememeberd that Dad puts flavored creamer in his coffee. Could I try his? I did and it was pretty good. YAY!
I went downstairs and poured myself half a cup in my mug from Justin. I added the French Vanilla creamer and while it didn't look or taste quite like Dad's, it was pretty good.
The next day has by now dawned and still no special orange liquid populates the refrigerator. So, out comes the mug, coffee, and creamer. Another half cup is successfully flavored and downed with satisfaction.
Now, while it does not replace the longing in my throat for the cool liquid of OJ, I'm beginning to enjoy the coffee.
This was a quote that seemed to fit.
"Where are the cucumber sandwhiches?"
"There were no cucumbers at the market this morning, sir."
"Oh, NO cucumbers!"
"No sir, not even for ready money." -- The Importance of Being Earnest
0 comments:
Post a Comment