Bringing the populace up to date. (Populace is you guys.) ;)

Wednesday, February 16, 2011
Wow, I have not been keeping up on this blog. So, I shall update you into the recent turn of events here.

My dual credit classes are going well. I'm enjoying both of my classes, Eng. and Amer. Gov., pretty equally. I recently was given an assignment in Eng. to read this essay that my teacher handed out. It's title was "Body Rituals of the Nacirema". This essay went on to tell about these people, their ritualistic shrines, and their medicine men, "holy-mouth-men", and vestal maidens who are always in recognizable clothes and headdress in the holy temple where children think you "go to die". This essay also spoke on how these people had a practice for their women. Every 4 months, for an hour, the women would bake thier head in ovens. I read this paper (and so did everyone else in the class) with the horrification that tribes like this still existed in the supposed deep, black parts of Africa. We get into class and our teacher asks us if we got it.
"Got what?" is the immediate question. She tells us that there's something in the article that we were supposed to get. She tells us to look back at the paper, especially the title, and figure it out. After one guy starts roaring with laughter in the second row, we're all desperately trying to get the joke. Finally, our teacher tells us to turn the word Nacirema around. It's American. Then we all started to laugh.
The author of this paper poked fun at all Americans and their daily body rituals in the secretive shrine (bathroom). The medicine men (doctors) and "holy-mouth-men" (dentists) with vestal maidens (nurses) in the holy temple where children think "you go to die" (hospital) represents how we have a taste for things that give us pain. Everyone in the class agreed that the ovens that the women were baking their heads in were the old-timey hair dryer things that go over the lady's hair after she gets a perm in the beauty parlor. This essay made us all laugh really hard and feel really stupid for not having figured it out.

On the other side of the world, I have been trying to keep up with my writing. It gets harder and harder all the time to find good quality hours to sit down and write. The voices in my head (yes, I do really have them) are cramming up against my interior walls, but the time is escaping me. Maybe that's the reason why I've had so many headaches lately. ;) Anyway, I'm going to endeavor to write some today.
My reading in Les Mis is picking back up again. I've finally climbed out of the hole at Waterloo and have returned to the actual story of the book. It's back to the interesting part. I'm now interested in rewatching the movie which I enjoyed so much the first time.

I'm very excited about returning to Disney World at the end of May. Stuff is booked, DDRs and everything, and we've started buying T-shirts to wear. It's kind of sad that you have to get all your T-shirts here because they're so much cheaper. Oh well, that's the whole marketing business.
We're trying to get through watching the movies again. Last time we watched most of them was last year about this time when we were getting ready for our Disney trip. I'm putting Tarzan on tonight's watching list but I'm not sure if it'll actually get done. Tarzan is a movie which we only discovered last year and were so blown away by it, we couldn't figure out how we hadn't found it earlier.

Cheers till later!

0 comments: