Have any of you read this lyrical poem from the Middle English period? I'm reading it in my British Literature course. I like it; some of the poetry is really good. For example, this passage that is the very beginning of the poem. It's so cool! That's why I wanted to post it. Have fun! :)
Once the siege and assault of Tory had ceased,
with the city a smoke-heap of cinders and ash,
the traitor who contrived such betrayal there
was tried for his treachery, the truest on earth;
Aeneas, it was, with his noble warriors
who went conquering abroad, laying claim to the crowns
of the wealthiest kingdoms in the western world.
Mighty Romulus quickly careered towards Rome
and conceived a city in magnificent style
which from then until now has been known by his name.
Ticius constructed townships in Tuscany
and Langobard did likewise building homes in Lombardy.
And further afield, over the Sea of France,
Felix Brutus founds Britain on broad banks most grand.
And wonder, dread and war
have lingered in that land
where loss and love in turn
have held the upper hand.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment