Oscars 2013!!!

Monday, February 25, 2013
Roll out the red carpet! The stars are coming! Yes, it was Oscars day yesterday, and as Kathryn and I make a great to-do over the whole thing, I wanted to write a blog post about it.

I did not like the host. I don't know if it's some kind of curse to all hosts at the Oscars..but none of them are good. Now, some are vastly better than others, but aside from Anne Hathaway and James Franco who were probably the worst ever!, I think this guy was next. He was crude; his jokes were lame. He was booed several times. And after the opening, he never really did anything to "host." I was very disappointed. I was kind of excited to see Captain Kirk...but it was slightly sad, actually.

Also, since this was the 85th Oscars and they made a big hype about having a special thing about movie music, I expected some really cool stuff. Some old footage, and I was hoping for one huge dance number weaving together tons of movie music. Alas, there was hardly any. You could hear snipits of classic songs throughout the night, but nothing very grand. However, I did feel that they could not have picked a better song for the In Memoriam video than the theme from Out of Africa.

Oh, and we cannot forget the lovely dance between Charlize Theron and Channing Tatum near the beginning. I thought it was really cool, and they were both excellent--extremely graceful.

But why do we stall? Everybody's favorite part--or at least mine--is seeing what everyone is wearing and playing the best dressed game. Kathryn and I pick one guy and one girl for best dressed and sometimes a worst dressed person will get thrown in.

*Worst dressed this year was Helena Bonham Carter. I only saw her in the performance of the Les Mis cast, but whatever she was wearing...was not Oscar worthy. (But I've just got to add, what *was* Anne Hathaway actually wearing?)

*Best dressed guy is often a difficult category. Guys don't have a ton to work with at the Oscars so the race is usually tight. This year was no different, and surprisingly, Kathryn and I disagreed on our final guys choice. (We usually end up picking the same guy.) While her pick--Channing Tatum--was in the running, in the end I gave the award to Chris Evans. His look was clean, classy, snappy, and simple. And unlike some who possibly lost due to their unruly beards, his facial hair is at the proper proportions for his face and the look.


*While we're all excited to see the guys all spiffed up, it's the girls who captivate us. You're always looking for the stunning one to take your breath away, and the hideous dress to make you laugh outright. Well, coming in as best dressed girl of the night, Jennifer Lawrence is clearly stunning enough to take away one's breath. Her hair was simple but tidy, her jewels balanced, and the dress...*sigh* absolutely gorgeous! It was a princess dress, a ballgown worthy of a pumpkin coach. She was absolutely beautiful, and I'm so glad she got the Oscar for best actress!


And, that's a wrap! See you all next year!

0 comments: