I've reached a new stage in my life. I've carved a pumpkin. There's just something about shaping a vegetable into a predetermined object that elevates you to a new level of consciousness. Haha! No, I'm just kidding. But it was fun. Let me tell you the story. :)
At my community college, they were having this event of pumpkin carving. Several booths were set up with huge tubs of pumpkins. You could carve your pumpkin, paint it, stick feathers and glitter all over it, and more. I originally wasn't going to go, but one of my friends was working the event. That got me thinking, and then I realized that I might never actually get around to carving a pumpkin ever again. So, I went.
I knew immediately what I wanted to do. I wanted to carve my pumpkin into Cinderella's carriage. Fitting, right? Probably not super original, but still.
I found a good size pumpkin, signed a release form (basically if I chopped off a finger, I couldn't sue), and got to hacking. I poked holes all around the stem, but had to get a nearby guy to yank it out...he broke off the stem. Hahaahahaha! We got the top of eventually, though. Then, I put on the plastic gloves and relieved my pumpkin of it's inner gunk.
Paint time! There was a station for spray paint and I headed over there. After sifting through quite a few empty cans, I found a silver one. It was my first time spray painting, and it was fun. Then, I hit the carving station. They had these little knives and then these tiny, thin--thin like toothpicks--metal things that had serrated edges. I didn't think the toothpicks would hold up, so I started using the knife...but it kept cutting on a rounded edge. Rather frustrating. I picked up the toothpick saw and went to work. It cut through that pumpkin skin like crazy. I did end up breaking one off at the handle, but they had extras.
So, now my carriage was starting to take shape. Last top was the paintbrush-paint station. That's where I added the wheels, vines, and curtains. If you remember, there are pink curtains in the carriage. I tried to represent them properly. :D
I had a lot of fun and am quite proud of my creation. It's been sitting in the kitchen since I brought it home and is now growing mold. The top is sinking through the hole; the inside is turning brown. And then of course, there are the little fuzzy patches that are starting to appear. Still, I really like it, and am proud of my first attempt to turn a vegetable into a predetermined object. :D You should go out and try it too! And don't forget the spray paint!
Pictures from all sides reside below. Let me know what you think!
0 comments:
Post a Comment