Philosophical Philosophies in Philosophy

Wednesday, September 12, 2012
I hope, through the title, to convey some of the confusion that's been running rampant through my mind as I struggle through my Philosophy class this semester. It has been rather a struggle the entire course (and I'm only in the 3rd week), but I'm hoping that hard work will prevail. Also, I'm going through the class with a friend, and it has helped immensely to have her there. She is certainly an anchor in "the corrupt sands of commerce"--You've Got Mail.
That quote above is "not a precise definition, but it's an exact Oxford."--A Wrinkle in Time (audio tapes) Yes, now I am showing off, but I couldn't help it. ;)
Anyway, I wanted to share something really funny about yesterday's class. There is a possibility that once this is all typed up, it won't sound so funny, but it was funny at the time--and is still humorous in my head, so I'm going to set it down.
My philosophy teacher, is somewhat of a quirky character. (I think all philosophy teachers must be, though.) That's just to set you up for what's coming. Anyway, he calls on a man in my class (Mr. N for the sake of privacy) to read aloud a section from our textbook. This textbook is a compilation of Socratic dialogues. 

Mr. N. "What about someone who believes in beautiful things but does not believe in the beautiful itself?"
Prof: "Mr B" (not for the sake of privacy this time--just can't remember his name)"please point to a beautiful thing in this room."
Mr. B: "Uh.........that guy" *pointing at Mr. N*

The whole class kind of sighs as our teacher said, "OH MY!" Haha! 

Prof: "Now, please point to the beautiful itself."
Mr. B: "Uh.........."

Now, as I have learned, one cannot point to the beautiful itself because "beauty" is a form. It is an ideal; it does not interact with time and space and is therefore not physical. 

Prof: "Mr. N, please read the same passage."
Mr. N: "What about someone who believes in beautiful things but does not believe in the beautiful itself?"
Prof: "Mr. B, please point to a beautiful thing in this room."
Mr. B.-not wanting to get into trouble again-"Every woman in this room."
Prof: "Please pick one." 
Mr. B points to a girl. 
Prof: "Now, please point to the beautiful itself."
Mr. B-still unsure-"Uh....."

My professor teaches us more about the ideal vs. the physical. 

Prof: "Mr. N, please read again."
Mr. N: "What about someone who believes in beautiful things but does not believe in the beautiful itself?"
Prof: "Mr. B, please point to a beautiful thing in this room."
Mr. B-definitely not going to get unsettled this time--"The girl in the green jacket." *turns to her* "You are beautiful." (The look she gave him was "gee-thanks!" haha)
Prof: "Now, please point to the beautiful itself."
Mr. B: "You can't?"
Prof-very excitedly-"You CAN'T!"

He again emphasizes the difference between ideal vs. physical. But this time, he goes deeper, telling us about how physical things are mere copies of the ideal.

Prof: "Mr. N, please read the passage again."
Mr. N: "What about someone who believes in beautiful things but does not believe in the beautiful itself?"
Prof: "Mr. B, please point to a copy of a beautiful thing."
Mr. B: *pointing to my friend* "The girl in the blue jacket."
Prof--to my friend-- "Ahhh, you are only a copy of beauty." All laughed at the joke. 

Sooo, that gives you rather the idea of how classes go. Now, it's probably not going to be very funny to you as you read it. I suppose it's funny because of the voices to read it in. I promise you, Mr. N, read that sentence with the same inflection every time. Quite humorous. 

0 comments: