Bon Appetit!

Sunday, February 12, 2012
Watching Julie and Julia always makes me want to do two things; cook and blog. Well, three I suppose since 'eat' has to be in there somewhere. I often feel like I should work harder at becoming a better cook since I value cooking as a high skill for my future as a wife and mother. I want to be a woman who can make seared pork when she feels like it instead of being confined to casseroles. Don't get me wrong, casseroles are really good, but I want to know that I can cook something elaborate and have it taste amazing.
I don't know if any of you remember back in August when I took over the kitchen for a whole week. I enjoyed it immensley and vowed to do so once a month.
You know the saying so say it with me, "The best laid plans of mice and men often go awry." (Side note: I just read that poem for my Lit. class and was very surprised that the now famous quote is quite different from the original text.) Anyway, yes, life happened and cooking took the very back seat of my 12 passenger van life. I know it sounds like I'm complaining and that I have the most hectic life in the world. And, I suppose I am complaing, but I don't mean too. It's just that lately, the idea of cooking anything except perhaps an egg for my breakfast is simply a joke. I know I don't have a very hectic life, but this school year (especially this semester) has been busier than my life's ever been, and it's been a struggle.
Anyway, I have a plan. This is a going to be a terrible run-on sentence so bear with me. After I get through my awful Driver's Ed class (2 weeks left), and I finally balance my schedule, which I hope to do by the end of those two weeks, I will endeavor to cook at least 2 meals, most likely dinners, every month. I know, a bit of a step down from a week, but that's the only way you achieve goals. You must start small if you ever hope to finish.
These meals will be true adventures. One thing I want to become excellent in the kitchen is grilling. Well, I suppose that's not technically in the kitchen, but you know what I mean. So, some of them will be on the grill. There's a turkey burger recipe of Bobby Flay's that I've been dying to try out. Also, I want to make a risotto. While it might be a pain, I want to do it simply to say I've made a risotto. I'd like to make Beef Burgonyone. And yes, I know that's not how you spell it, but I really don't feel like going into Google to find the proper spelling. Another thing I'd like to do? Make eggs benedict. I think eggs benedict would be simply lovely if I made myself eat it. It always looks so delicious, but I was never one for eggs over easy. I like my yolks solid. However, I've begun to branch out with slightly looser yolks and have actually enjoyed them. Why, just the other day, I followed Mom's example and fried two eggs (without breaking the yolks) and put them atop toast. I cut open the yolks and let them ooze onto the bread. It wasn't half bad. ;)
So, this cooking escapade will begin, hopefully, when my class ends. The reason that I'm waiting till after it ends, is because the class is from 6:30 to 8:30 and dinner is always rushed on Mon.- Thurs. Come to think of it though, except for that class, my Wednesdays are fairly empty so perhaps some small adventure on those days? We shall see.
As I said at the beginning, the movie also makes me want to blog. Blogging is so much fun. It's not really quite the same as having an open blog when everyone can read your stuff; and your words are sent into the void, still, it's lots of fun. I'll check in with you all later. 
Bon Appetit! 

0 comments: