Peanut Butter Sandwiches and Prom Dresses

Wednesday, September 21, 2011
Tuesdays and Thursdays are my heavy days in school. I go to the community college by our house for Government 2 and History 1. After coming home and a few hours more, my live SAT prep class goes for two hours, ending at 6. Now, aside from those I have all of my regular "home" classes. Well, yesterday, I finished all of my "home" class work before I had to leave for school. This was unheard of!
On the way to the college, Mom and I discussed dinner. I realized, because of the late end of my SAT class, dinner would have to be able to make ahead of time. Or, it would need to be assembled very quickly. I settled on a new dinner salad recipe that Mom found in a magazine.
Fast forwarding 3 hours, and Mom picked me up from school. Then, she told me that there was a possibility of me babysitting that night. (Well, then I won't be able to make dinner.) So, we waited to see how things played out.
I ended up babysitting, so Mom and Kathryn fended for themselves with dinner. I went to sit for my 8 year old neighbor, Sophie.
She finished her homework for the day, and we decided to eat dinner. She jumped up and announced that she wanted to make both of our sandwiches. She wanted to make them peanut butter and jelly sandwiches too!
(Pausing here, I must insert a small statement for the next part of this story to make sense. I don't really like peanut butter. Yes, it's true. You can gasp all you want. I've never really cared for it. So, peanut butter and jelly was never something I really enjoyed eating when I younger. Because of this, I haven't had a peanut butter and jelly sandwich since I was probably 7 or 8.)
Naturally, I was not thrilled about the idea of eating PB&J, but Sophie was so excited to make it for me that I knew I couldn't say no.
She asks me to get down the plates and glasses while she gets the bread, peanut butter, and the SQUEEZABLE jelly. Squeezable jelly is Bama grape jelly in a sqeeze tube, but Sophie seemed to think it was this specially made thing. After a few minutes of me being in the kitchen, she asked me if I wanted to use the jelly first. That's when I figured out she wasn't going to make my sandwich.
Sitting down to eat, I prepared myself to take a bite of this sandwich. "Who knows?" I thought. "It might have changed it's flavor over the years." I took a bite. It was as if I was trying to remember a dream, and the plot of it slowly came back. The taste was like that. The taste hit my tongue, and the rememberance of eating them so long ago cam back. Very interesting. I wouldn't say I liked it, but I definitely was gagging while I ate it. Later on in the night, Sophie and I played some games and then danced around to Elton John music. :)
________

Today was my "Day after my Day of Jubilee." (That reference is not supposed to make sense to anyone but fellow West Wing watchers. So many things went excellent!
First, I got my school done very early. Then, it was time for my voice lesson with my choir conductor on my Region music. (Region is a competition for high schoolers to get into the Texas State choir. You're given music. You learn it with a CD, and then you audition it. There are multiple auditions and the first is this Saturday and is called District.) Well, my lesson went beyond well! I'm so ready for District! Coming off this high note, Mom took me to Skcubrats for a treat. Skcubrats is our nickname for a certain coffee place. (Hint: It's spelled backwards.) After going there, we stopped in at Marshalls where we looked all around.
Now, I was almost ready to go to the fitting rooms, but then I spied this dress. This dress was a floor length, strapless, cream colored with black polka dots prom dress. It was gorgeous! Fitted on the top with this really puffy and cool fabric layering on the bottom, oh, it was just gorgeous. I knew I would never wear it 'cause I don't go to prom, but I still couldn't resist trying it on. It. Looked. FABULOUS! Oh man, I just loved it. It was so cool, unique, and just really, really neat. Mom didn't really like it that much though. :) So, I stopped playing dress up, and we went home.
At home, Mom asked if Kathryn and I wanted to go to Chick-fil-a? You see, I didn't want salad which is what I was going to make from last night's planned dinner.
Yeah, it was a really great day! I hope tomorrow is just as good!

1 comments:

singerinkitchen said...

You need to come and make me a salad! heee hee. You should have taken a picture of yourself with that dress!