But then you're reminded to think in more general terms. Well then...I suppose people in the arts: the painters, the musicians, the dancers, the photographers, the writers, the actors. But is that all? Is that where the term 'artist' stops? Only someone being involved in the arts? I say, no.
Everyone is an artist, in my opinion. I don't mean that in the way that everyone has the potential to write a poem or sing a song or dance to Tchaikovsky. No, everyone is an artist now! The term applies to everyone, currently, in exactly what they're doing.
The chef who places the spring of mint on the left of the pastry instead of the right. The architect that slants the roof to this degree versus that degree. The room designer that wants a country feel. The weaver that has a whole box of red yarn beside her. They are all artists.
To me, artistry is creation. If you can make something, then you're an artist. The home cook who pours the soup into one big serving dish. The engineer organizing steel beams to fit together. The teenager rearranging her room for the fifth time. And Grandma, as she knits that sweater for her ugly dog. All of these are artists. They have the drive, the ability, and the creativity to make something.
I've been thinking about this subject a little lately. As a writer, I consider myself an artist. I might not consciously state it to myself, but if I were to think about it, I would say I was an artist. I write stories; I create. I am an artist. And you know what, so are you. You don't have to be holding a camera or a baton or a brush...you can be sitting at home making an EXCEL spread sheet. Because think about it, didn't you have to figure out which colors were going to be allotted to which categories, and what columns things were directed into?
Enjoy the rest of your day! :)
0 comments:
Post a Comment